After you read this Solar Breeze NX2 review you will be able decide whether this product is a good fit for your needs or not.
Released in 2018, the Solar Breeze NX2 is the latest line in solar powered robotic pool cleaners from a company called Solar Pool Technologies based in Arizona. The NX2 was created to improve on its popular predecessor called the NX. While the NX is a good product, it does have some niggling problems which annoyed some customers, so in this review we’ll reveal whether Solar Pool Technologies have resolved these problems or not, and we’ll also look at whether the newer model is worth the higher price tag.
Features at a glance
- 100% solar powered – no cables needed
- Skims the pool surface to remove floating debris
- Integrated chlorine dispenser to sanitize your pool
- Easy one button operation
- Internal lithium battery enables device to work after dark
- UV resistant poly-carbonate shell for extended life
- Onboard “navigation” computer
- 1 year warranty
- Suitable for in-ground and above-ground pools
- Easy to use
- Eco friendly
- Integrated chlorine dispenser
- High cleaning quality
- Suitable for pools of any size
- 1 year warranty only
- Sub optimal performance in non-sunny climates
Day and Night Operation
The NX2 is powered entirely from solar energy but it will also clean at night too. During the day it runs from sunlight and after dark it automatically switches to its integrated 5300 mAh lithium battery. If there are areas of your pool under shade, the unit will switch to battery power temporarily so that it doesn’t get stuck while deprived of sunlight. Since the battery is charged via the solar panels during the day, you’ll never need to plug it into the electrical socket or bother with cables.
During cloudy days, the unit may go into sleep-mode for periods of time while it charges its battery. Once the battery has been adequately charged it will start cleaning again. This is something to bear in mind if you live in North-West Europe where cloud can be a semi-permanent feature during the summer!
The pool skimmer has a built-in computer with a smart navigation system to efficiently clean your pool. Some customers have mistakenly believed their unit is faulty because the skimmer spends most of its time around the edges of the pool, however, this is by design because most debris naturally collects around the pool edge.
If the device comes across obstructions or barriers it will first try to change direction by using the powered bumper wheels, failing that it will automatically go into reverse to back its self away from the obstruction. This should ensure your little pool skimmer will keep working without requiring intervention from you.
Propulsion and Debris Collection
As with the previous model, this device is propelled through the water by a rear paddle wheel. On the front of the device is another paddle wheels which scoops up debris into the mesh filter tray, where the debris is stored until you empty it. The Solar Breeze can collect debris such as leaves, twigs, bugs, suntan lotion, dust and pollen.
Emptying the Filter Tray
Emptying the filter tray is simple. Turn off the device using the switch on top of the unit, lift the NX2 from the pool (it weighs about 12 pounds), then remove the filter tray and empty it out.
The unit has a built in dispenser which disperses chlorine across your pool. A potential advantage of this is that you can chlorinate your pool during the day without having to run your pool pump.
To use this feature you simply insert two chlorine tablets into the Solar Breeze dispenser tray, then use the device as normal.
Ease of Use
Even for the greatest of technophobes, the Solar Breeze NX2 is very easy to use. Simply switch it on and put it in the pool and leave it to do its thing. No complicated programming or timers are involved.
Maintaining the Solar Breeze
While this automated pool skimmer may save you staggering around the pool with a net in the midday sun, it does require some work on your part. You will need to carry out some regular maintenance on this device to keep it working optimally. This includes but is not limited to:
- Washing out the filter tray,
- Taking the pool skimmer out of the water and putting it on its end in the sun to drain accumulated water from inside the unit.
- Cleaning the exterior of the unit. Solar Pool Technologies recommend using a dilute mixture of CLR and water for this.
Full maintenance details should be followed using your operator’s manual after purchase.
What is the difference between the older NX model and this newer NX2?
- Some customers complained that the previous model, which was made from polypropylene, was not very durable and the materials started to degrade quite quickly due to UV radiation from the sun. The manufacturer has addressed this issue by making the new model from polycarbonate which has higher resistance to UV radiation.
- The computer navigation software has been upgraded to reduce the likelihood of the device getting stuck on obstacles.
- With the older model, sometimes the filter tray would not lock into place. This has now been rectified.
- Some of the internal mechanical components have been re-designed to increase energy efficiency and prolong the life of the unit.
What We Don’t Like
The pool skimmer only has a 1 year limited warranty. This is disappointing for a device which is quite expensive, especially when many manufacturers of other pool robots are offering a 2 and 3 year warranty.
It is possible to buy extended cover via a SquareTrade Protection Plan on Amazon, which you may want to consider. I contacted SquareTrade and asked which policy was suitable for the NX2 and they directed me to this Protection Plan which covers breakdowns and malfunctions. If you wish to contact SquareTrade to verify this is the correct plan for you, you can contact them directly using the live chat on their website here (scroll down the page and click on the “Chat Now” button).
- Eco friendly
- Excellent surface cleaning
- Very easy to use
- Built-in chlorine dispenser
- Can reduces energy bills
- Works at night on lithium battery
- No cords or cables required
- 1 year warranty only
- Sub-optimal performance on cloudy days or in pools with a lot of shade
Is The Solar Breeze NX2 For You?
If you spend a lot of time skimming the surface of your pool with a net then you will find this robotic pool skimmer will save you a lot of time and effort.
Initial reviews from customers are good, and we are encouraged to see Solar Pool Technologies have listened to their customers about problems with the older NX model and made various improvements. However, since this device has only recently been released onto the market, it is too early to comment on longevity and durability.