Dolphin has earned a solid reputation for their range of high quality pool cleaning products that are designed with the pool owner in mind. The Dolphin Triton Robotic Pool Cleaner is one of two exclusive collections launched by the company, the second one being the Nautilus series.
This Dolphin is an automatic, self-contained pool cleaner that is designed with a range of advanced features, from energy efficient cleaning and scanning technology to impressive suction power and microprocessor technology. This means less time spent cleaning and more time enjoying yourself in your fresh, clean pool. As with all pool cleaners, this product is not perfect though, and we discuss these issues below.
Features at a glance
• Weighs 18.75 lbs
• Comes with a 60 feet long cable with patented tangle-free swivel system
• Microprocessor controlled drive system
• Plug-and-play operation
• Cleans in-ground pools of any shape up to 50 feet in length
• Scrubs, vacuums and filters all types of pool surfaces
• Cleans the floor, cove and walls up to the waterline
• Easy to clean cartridge filter
• Has a suction rate of 4,233 gal (USA) per hour
• Cycle time is 3 hours
• Highly energy efficient – costs less than 15 cents for each cleaning session
• Self programmed for optimum scanning
• Built in caddie for easy portability and storage
The Dolphin 99996356 is a completely self-contained, plug-n-play pool cleaner. It does not need any additional plumbing or setting up nor does it need to be connected to the existing pool system to make it work. Take it out of the box, plug it in, drop the cleaner into the pool and you’re done.
The device is powered by a 60 ft cable. The patented swivel system ensures that the cable remains tangle-free regardless of the cleaner’s maneuvers in or out of the water.
The Dolphin Triton cleans the pool using advanced robotic scanning technology that was introduced by its parent company, Maytronics. When you drop the unit into your pool and switch it on, it does not just move around randomly cleaning the surface in patches. Instead, the technology first does a quick assessment of the dimensions and filtration requirements of your pool to determine the fastest and most efficient way to do a thorough cleaning up. With a suction rate of 4,233 gallons per hour, it takes about 3 hours or a less to clean a pool of up to 50 feet in length.
While the floor cleaning ability of the Triton is impressive, it falls short when it comes to cleaning the walls. The unit tends to lose traction while climbing the pool walls and often does not reach the water line.
Another drawback with the Triton is that it does not have a quick-drain system that lets the water drain out when you take it out of the pool so it can be quite heavy. Taking it out of the pool will require considerable strength as you are essentially hauling out the unit with the additional water weight. You also have to be extra careful not to yank the cleaner out of the pool using just the cable as it could snap. You will have to use the side handles.
Get further details and buy now on Amazon.com >>>
If you love to swim around in a clean pool but are concerned about the environment or about escalating utility bills, you will love the Dolphin Triton. This device is both eco-friendly and energy efficient.
Running this pool cleaner costs an average of about 5 cents an hour, which means a typical 3 hour cycle will cost you about 15 cents. You definitely don’t need to worry about any significant increase in your electricity bill.
As the cleaner goes about cleaning the pool, it collects the debris in its self-contained filter, which reduces the need to backwash the pool filter by as much as 30% and also reduces your chemical needs.
• 100 % plug and play
• Low operating cost
• Uses advanced robotic scanning technology for quick scanning and more efficient cleaning
• Kink-free 60-foot cable
• Easy to clean filters
• Environmentally friendly
• Built-in caddy makes it easy to tote around from the storage area to the pool and back
• Optional remote control provides additional customization settings such as quick clean, bottom only or bottom and side.
• Small debris-holding capacity so cleaning is necessary after every cleaning cycle
• Does not have a quick-drain system and can be quite heavy and difficult to remove from the pool after a cleaning cycle
• Tends to lose traction when climbing the walls and sometimes does not reach the waterline as it is supposed to
What others are saying
The majority of users have reviewed the Dolphin Triton 99996356 positively. Some features that have garnered special mention are the kink-free cable, the robotic scanning technology, the optional remote control and the easy to clean filters. Many users have mentioned that for them the lower operating cost along with the 24 months warranty for parts and labor made up for the higher purchase price of the device.
Users are divided as to its capacity to clean the pool walls up to the waterline. Some say their unit manages to climb just a few inches before it loses traction and slips back down while others claim that their device spends a fair amount of time cleaning the tiles along the water line
Is this Dolphin for you?
This is the right robotic pool cleaner for you if you are looking for a smart, efficient workhorse that will do a great job of cleaning the pool without damaging the environment or sending your utility bills sky-high. Before you pick it up though, you need to make sure that you or another family member is capable of lifting the water-laden unit out of the pool after every cleaning cycle.